What are IRS Announcements?
IRS Announcements are officially published by the IRS.
They are directed to all taxpayers.
"Announcements are public pronouncements on matters of general interest, such as effective dates of temporary regulations, clarification of rulings and form instructions. They are issued when guidance of a substantive or procedural nature is needed quickly" I.R.M. 126.96.36.199.4.1.
"Announcements can be relied on to the same extent as revenue rulings and revenue procedures" I.R.M. 188.8.131.52.4.1.
Announcements may be used as "substantial authority" to avoid the substantial understatement penalty.
Announcements are identified by a two digit number representing the year and a sequence number, i.e. Ann. 97-1.
How Can I Access IRS Announcements?
- Via the Internal Revenue Bulletins available from IRS.gov
Electronic to Authorized Users:
- Via WestlawNext
- Via Bloomberg Law
- (From the Tax Practice Center, choose Regulatory Agencies and then Announcements)
- Via Lexis Advance (Internal Revenue Bulletin)
- Via RIA Checkpoint
- (From the main page, under Primary Source Materials, click the + next to IRS Rulings and Releases, and then choose Announcements)
- Via the Bloomberg/BNA Tax and Accounting Center
- Via LexisNexis Academic
- Via CCH Intelliconnect