How do I Search For Enacted or Proposed Bills? How Do I Search By Subject?
What information do I need to find the bills associated with an enacted federal law?
- You will need the bill number and the date of enactment or number of the Congress.
What information do I need to find a bill and any related legislative history documents for a bill that was never enacted?
You will need the bill number and the date of its introduction into the House or Senate or number of the Congress.
How do I search for bills or other legislative history documents by subject?
- Use Congress.gov and choose "Advanced Search"
- Use FDsys "Advanced Search" in one or more Collections (i.e. Congressional Bills).
- Use WestlawNext "Advanced Search" in Federal> Federal Proposed & Enacted Legislation or
Proposed & Enacted Legislation>Historical Proposed Legislation (Bills).
- To locate citations to bills not found in one of the online databases, use Congressional Information Service (CIS) Annual found in Room 121 on the Main Floor of the Law Library (see Compiled Legislative Histories). In the Index volumes, use the Subject and Name Index to locate document summaries in the Abstract volumes. These document summaries will provide citations to the documents in print or on microfiche.
Bill Sources Online
Congress.gov (free): Bills from 93rd Congress (1973) to present. In the left column, narrow search by Legislation Type to "Bills."
GPO FDsys (free): Congressional Bills from 103rd Congress (1993) to present. Search by Congress number and words or phrases.
Library of Congress (free): Selected documents from the 23rd through the 64th Congresses (1833-1917), House Bills and Resolutions from the 6th through the 42nd Congresses (1819-1873) and Senate Bills and Resolutions from the 16th through the 42nd Congresses (1819-1873).
Bloomberg Law (log in required): All Legal Content>U.S.Legislative>U.S.Congress>U.S. House and Senate Bills (1993-current).
- Home>Proposed & Enacted Legislation>Historical Proposed Legislation (Bills) 104th Congress (1995-1996) to 110th Congress (2007-2008). Advanced Search, using field boxes or create your own Boolean Search.
- Home >Federal>Federal Proposed & Enacted Legislation. Advanced Search.